{{ message }}

Admin Page Edit

Harmony Church

Harmony Church is a historic Methodist Episcopal church located at Millsboro, Sussex County, Delaware. It was built in 1891, and is a one-story, wood frame building covered with asbestos siding and in the Late Gothic Revival style. It has a two-story wing and sits on a rock-faced, concrete block foundation. It features a two-story crenellated tower. The congregation was organized in 1818. The Indian Mission Church was formed from Harmony Church after the hiring of an African American minister.

It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.

Fairmont (Images of America)

Christa Lynn Greco

Situated where the West Fork and the Tygart Valley Rivers converged to form the Monongahela River, Fairmont was an attractive location for early settlers. In 1820, Fairmont, then named Middletown, was officially established as a town by the Virginia Assembly and was renamed Fairmont in 1843. The 1800s witnessed significant advancement in community formation, commerce, transportation, and education. Coal and natural gas extraction as well as the transportation sector would fuel an increasing demand for skilled and unskilled laborers. This resulted in an influx of European workers who would further enrich the culture of Fairmont. The 1900s saw the emergence of a variety of glass manufacturing companies, a packaging plant, flour mills, and an electrical service company. Fairmont became the most diversified and plentiful city in the region.

Pricketts Fort (Images of America)

Greg Bray

Pricketts Fort was built on the land of Jacob Prickett in 1774, during what is known as Lord Dunmore’s War. It provided sanctuary for local settlers before and during the American Revolution and was a safe haven from the attacks of American Indians until the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794. Constructed by local militia on a small rise near the confluence of Pricketts Creek and the Monongahela River, Pricketts Fort provided refuge for approximately 80 families. The fort itself was large by 18th-century standards. It had blockhouses at each corner, with walls 12 feet high and 110 feet long. Although the fort was never attacked, many outlying homes were, and a number of settlers lost their lives. Today, Pricketts Fort hosts visitors looking to learn more about day-to-day life on the western Virginian frontier.

Site issues? Contact Us